Key Idea: Editing the HL essay is structural work, not just fixing typos. You cut what does not serve the argument, sharpen it, and check it against the word count and criteria A–D.
Editing and refining
- Cut — Tangents, repetition, and summary that is not analysis.
- Sharpen — Make the thesis and every topic sentence as precise as possible.
- Check — Word count 1,200–1,500, and the four criteria.
| Criterion | Ask yourself |
|---|---|
| A Understanding | Do I show I understand the work? |
| B Analysis | Do I analyse choices and their effects? |
| C Focus, organisation and development | Is it focused, organised, and does it build? |
| D Language | Is my writing clear and precise? |
An essay over the limit usually has padding you can cut.
What does over-length usually signal? Padding: tangents, repetition or summary.
Is editing mainly about typos? No. It is about cutting and sharpening the argument.
Which two kinds of sentence do you sharpen? The thesis and the topic sentences.
What is the word range? 1,200–1,500 words.